Maurice Rowe, LLB Notary Public
Bachelor of Laws – Victoria University
Main areas of expertise
General legal practice
Maurice has experience in many high-level fields of New Zealand law over nearly five decades. He has undertaken work for national clients and major exporters - including working on international legal matters in America and Europe.
Maurice is a Notary Public and a recipient of a City of Palmerston North Civic Honour
He has more recently moved into advising on commercial property developments and resource management matters and has undertaken major work on behalf of local property developers.
Maurice commenced legal practice in 1964 on returning to his home city of Palmerston North after graduating from Victoria University, Wellington. He became a partner in the firm’s predecessor of Rowe, O’Sullivan & Co in 1967.
He initially undertook a relatively wide range of general legal work including conveyancing and litigation (including civil and criminal matters at Court of Appeal level). Progressively he moved more into commercial property work involving extensive land subdivision and development work, Maori Land Court appearances and Resource Management Tribunal work (principally relating to land development projects). He represented an association of local property developers before the Town and Country Planning Appeal Board in contesting the imposition of local authority “greenfields” development levies on land subdivisions.
The principal areas of practice in which he has been more recently or is currently involved include the following:
- Representing a national brewing company in respect of its regional business activities including acquisitions and dispositions of licensed premises and contracts relating to trading relationships and product supply;
- Independently representing various finance institutions in the preparation of security documentation;
- Representing a major exporter of manufactured goods with regard to its general legal work including international contracts for product supply and distribution, establishment of production companies in the USA and Europe, joint ventures for manufacturing rights and working with foreign patent attorneys in respect of patent infringement litigation;
- Representing an electricity supply company with regard to its general legal requirements including electricity supply contracts, corporate governance issues and the legal work relative to the establishment of New Zealand’s first major electricity generation wind farm including international contracts for supply and installation of wind generation equipment, construction contracts and contracts with landowners for electricity generation arrangements;
- Independently representing landowners with regard to wind farm proposals for their land;
- Representing developers with regard to large property developments in Auckland, Wellington and elsewhere in New Zealand including land subdivisions, car park developments and multi-storey unit title developments for mixed uses of apartments, hotel units, cinemas and the like;
- Franchising arrangements;
- Asset planning, family trusts and division of relationship property;
- Monitoring and reviewing documentation for commercial litigation and liaising with counsel;
- Representing petroleum supply interests with regard to wholesale motor fuel activities throughout New Zealand including fuel supply contracts, service station site developments and branding issues.
Direct Dial: 64-6-351 4710
Fax: 64-6-351 4719